Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
OP Ian L Contributing Member • Posts: 586
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Michael Fryd wrote:

Ian L wrote:

...I should be able to sell it on ebay for close to new price since it would basically still be brand new.

I've wondered about this. When you sell a 1 month old lens on eBay it's similar to brand new, but doesn't have any warranty. How close to list price do people actually pay?

The Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Tilt-Shift Lens sells for about $2,149 at B&H . Canon USA sells a refurbished version , with a 1 year warranty for about $1720.

Will people really pay close to $2150 for a 1 month old version on eBay when a refurbished with a factory warranty is about 20% ($429) less?

The warranty doesn't transfer over if you resell the lens??? Also the refurb from canon is out of stock. So that will make one on ebay a little more valuable.

Most of the ones I've seen on ebay are used and seem to sell for about $1800. It's a bit of a gamble. It'll probably cost me more to sell it then to just borrow one from the canon program. But on the other side, if i decide I want to keep it, it'll be cheaper since I won't have paid $100 to borrow one.

Ian L's gear list:Ian L's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Nikon D850 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow