Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,436
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

AZBlue wrote:

I'm a Realtor® who wins sellers with my photography. There are so many of us out there, how does one differentiate oneself? I've found that my photography sets me apart from other agents, especially when sellers realize that photos of their house will be seen as a "first impression" by 95% of home buyers.

When I work with buyers, I take a nice location portrait of their family at the new house which I have lab printed and framed. That's my closing gift to them, as a reminder of not only this happy day but of me as well.

A lot of real estate agents end up incorporating their hobbies and passions into their businesses.

Assume for a moment you decided to never take another photo again, but would remain a Realtor.   Let's also assume there are vendors in your area that will provide reasonable photos for $150 per house.

From a business perspective, how much extra would it make sense to spend to upgrade to photos of the same quality as what you have been shooting?

Does it make financial sense to spend an extra $100?  How about an extra $500?  Is an extra $1,000 unreasonable?

I think everyone agrees that better photos are a plus.  I think everyone here agrees that if better photos cost an extra $1, then it's worth the money.  I think everyone here would agree that if the better photos cost $50,000 then they probably doesn't make financial sense.

The question is what is the actual ballpark value to the Realtor?   That's an important piece of information for a photographer targeting that market.   If a tilt-shift lens isn't going to get the photographer more business, faster workflow, or higher pricing then it may not be worth the investment.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow