Fujifilm XF 18-55 f2.8 - 4 double images

Started Feb 22, 2018 | Questions thread
Colin Dutton Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Fujifilm XF 18-55 f2.8 - 4 double images

OnePlus wrote:

So I know this is an old thread but I'm glad I found it. I just bought an X-T2 and a second-hand 18-55 F2.8/4 from eBay as a trial to see whether I could switch from Canon DSLR. I have really been disappointed at the quality of the bokeh despite seeing so many glowing reports online about the optics of this lens.

I shoot primarily at car shows and I often see the double-images in the background of my shots. It is considerably worse at wide-open apertures, but even at F11 I can still see traces of it visible when zooming 1:1 on my computer monitor.

I also notice that the background lacks a lot of resolution and fine details such as strands of grass appear very mushy. I do not really think the lens is defective because it is in immaculate condition and the seller had barely used it. The center of my images are always pin-sharp and faultless even when zoomed to 100% size.

It is my assumption that this is just a characteristic of the optics in this lens. I have since decided I will sell my Fuji equipment and stick with Canon for the moment.

Yes, it is a characteristic of this lens..  quite sharp but ugly rendering. There's a 16-80mm OIS f4 on the way with 9 aperture blades which might deal with things in a nicer way.

Colin Dutton's gear list:Colin Dutton's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow