Thinking of investing in a Broncolor Siros S + Para 133/177 system... should I?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
White Buffalo Junior Member • Posts: 39
Thinking of investing in a Broncolor Siros S + Para 133/177 system... should I?

I'm a full-time fashion/portrait photographer. I've used the same setup for about a decade now- Bowens 500R's with a couple of Bowens modifiers. 99% of the artificially lit stuff I've shot over my career has been with one light and a large soft box- that setup has yielded some fantastic results which have been published in various globally published magazines. It still works just as good as it did the day I got it, yet I find myself exceedingly bored with it and wanting to switch things up. A friend of mine- a fashion shooter in NYC with major campaigns under his belt- shoots with Briese sometimes and it was in discovering this brand thanks to him that I ultimately found Broncolor. I kept hearing about how they ripped off Briese with their Para design, but somehow improved it as well, so it instantly became the dream setup for me. Today I was finally able to check the Bron stuff out in person at a shop here and it seemed really high quality, but I'm also wondering if there's really any value (besides healing my boredom) to going that route. People talk a lot about consistent colour temperature, as if though it doesn't take seconds to adjust any inconsistency in post- who's printing straight from the camera anyways? Also super fast recycle times are lost on me as I'm a slow shooter who likes to take his time to compose- max 10 frames a minute. So I'm really torn and uncertain as to what to do. To me, a light is a light, and while there are some differences, the final product will more or less look the same. Sure, the modifiers are what we see more of in the final image, but will the Bron Para give me worlds better results than my trusty old big Bowens soft box? Seems like it's mostly a matter of nuance. FWIW, I was expecting the Siros S kit (2 x heads) to be more expensive than the Profoto D2 kit which I was also looking at, but it's actually priced right around the same mark. The Bron is actually much better priced if you consider that it's 800w while the Profoto is just 500. I'd eventually also be looking to add one of the battery heads (Siros L) for the odd location shoot where I can't power up. The B10 Plus/B1X seems a more lucrative option there though as it's substantially smaller than the Siros. I'm in the midst of doing a full rig revamp- the camera actually requires urgent replacement, and I could definitely do with some additional glass-, however it's the lighting I'm really torn on. It's a huge chunk of change and I'm just wondering if I'll see any benefit in the final images. I know it'll be "different", but will it be better? Hard to answer as my eye is used to a certain look now and also we're comparing a softbox to a Para. I'm aware of the desirable traits of a Para, but will my eye like it? There's no universally/objectively perfect lighting.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
elv
BAK
BAK
RVN
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow