Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 1,162
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

tokumeino wrote:

It's only that, and nothing more : "The question was whether measured testing of a lens will inevitably result in an mtf chart that is worse than its manufacturer's theoretical mtf chart. The answer is no, because there is at least one lens for which this is not the case."

If you infer more, that's only you.

So, indeed, it's about MTF chart comparison in isolation only, totally unrelated to how it compares to actual lens performance (either simulated, or measured). Which is exactly what I already asked about, by the way, just to be told how I "just spectacularly missed the point", lol.

Thus we concluded that it is really possible to measure lens performance and end up with MTF chart which is better than manufacturer's theoretical MTF chart, no matter the methods used to output both. I guess free-hand drawing my approximative and unscientific measuring would serve the purpose, too. Quite a conclusion, indeed.

Silly me, I thought we're still discussing lens performance here.

But thanks for making it clear.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow