Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 1,161
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

decaf14 wrote:

Hi Boogisha,

I think we are in agreement. This is a discussion regarding semantics now. He claimed that theoretical data can show a worse lens than tested data with a case study. You disagreed with his claim because you said that measurement differences nullify this discrepancy. However, measurement difference is the reason for this discrepancy. You're trying to claim his case study does not hold value because of measurement discrepancy, when the whole reason that the tests differ is because of measurement discrepancy.

I hope this clears things up.

I`m afraid not, as I never disapproved his (theoretical) point that physically measured MTF can show better lens performance then upfront simulated MTF - anyone thinking that didn`t understand me in the first place (but I`ll take it I might have not been clear enough).

What I did disapprove (and still do) is his using Lens Rentals measured MTF comparison against manufacturers` simulated MTF to prove that (theoretical) point with a practical example (proof) that physical lens performance was indeed proved better. From those two (and comparing them), we really can`t conclude that, and as much as we know about it, it could just be a very different measuring method (which proves nothing).

That comparison is valid only if the sole thing you are interested in is MTF by and in itself alone (Lens Rental`s MTF being better, indeed), no matter what does it actually mean in relation to lens performance (which could be better, same, or worse, depending on the method used to measure it), and I think we are in fact discussing MTF here in regards to lens performance - please excuse me if that is not the case.

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow