Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
OP decaf14 Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: there is more in a lens than sharpness

Hello,

I agree that there is more to a lens than sharpness. I don't think you would be wise to purchase a lens based only on MTF charts. Confounding factors can also affect the perceived sharpness of a lens. Most notably, field curvature can make a lens appear sharper or less sharp than it actually is.

However, I think that MTF curves are the easiest way to establish the sharpness of a lens. If we are making a comparison, we need an objective metric to establish relativity.

In my opinion, sharpness is the most interesting and appealing metric of a modern lens. I haven't purchased a lens from Fuji that has noticeable issues with flaring. CA issues can be fixed in post with a single click. Distortion is corrected in software, but can have slight negative impacts on IQ.

Interesting that you mention autofocus. I don't know what to expect out of the 16-80 because it's missing the "LM" that the 18-135 has. I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this.

decaf14's gear list:decaf14's gear list
Fujifilm X-T10 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow