Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
boogisha Senior Member • Posts: 1,151
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

luvenis wrote:

No, you still don't get my point. The question was whether measured testing of a lens will inevitably result in an mtf chart that is worse than its manufacturer's theoretical mtf chart. The answer is no, because there is at least one lens for which this is not the case.

If I may interrupt (and hopefully end this), it seems it`s you missing the point, I`m afraid.

While it may seem unlikely, I would agree that it could be possible that real-world MTF of a lens is better than theoretically modeled one, BUT - you would need pretty much the same measuring method (as much as possible, one being just theoretical) to be able to compare them meaningfully (and prove the point).

So this part:

luvenis wrote:

You can compare Lens Rentals' mtf chart of the Nikon 70-200 and Nikon's theoretical mtf chart for the 70-200 and say that the Lens Rentals chart is better.

Given they are for the same lens, you can then say that theoretically modelled mtf, which is what most manufacturers use, is not necessarily higher than real-world mtf. It could be lower (and in the case I gave, it is).

... saying that "you can compare Lens Rentals` MTF chart and Nikon`s theoretical MTF chart" for the same lens does not stand because we have no idea how similar (or different) those two measuring methods are (Lens Rentals real-world vs Nikon theoretical) - one being better doesn`t have to mean the lens really performed better, it might just be a measuring method difference (which we are not aware of).

boogisha's gear list:boogisha's gear list
Canon PowerShot A75 Canon ELPH 300 HS Canon PowerShot S120 Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow