Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,199
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

OK. However a 60mm lens would normally require a minimum of 1/90 sec hand held. use a tripod? No problem. Just a subtle warning.

Gringostarr wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

. . . the 60mm tests is a pretty sharp lens. No OIS though. Maybe a Fuji X-H1? I doubt you get more than 2 stops in macro mode (X-H1), certainly not the 3-5 they advertise. But then again, neither do other macro lenses. If the 80mm macro gets more than 2-3 stops in macro) I will be surprised.

OIS isn't needed on the 60mm IMO since it's only 15g heavier than the 50mm so I have no problem holding it steady attached to the X-T30 where as the 80mm is almost 4 times as heavy as the 50mm at 750g. Not to mention that extra 1/2 stop of light gathering compared to most other macro lenses is more useful than you would think as it gives you even more control over DOF and shutter speed at macro distances.

If anyone wants to see examples of it with flowers I have some in the weekly thread, but I maintain that the 60mm is one of, if not the most underrated lenses in the entire lineup. Very happy I picked it up when it was $250 off a month or two ago.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +29 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow