GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,057
err...smallest possible?

RoelHendrickx wrote:

... fairly recently, in order to have the smallest possible backup camera for my system that consists mainly of Olympus bodies, mostly Olympus lenses and compact cameras from the LX series (LX3 and LX7 previously with the LX7 still in use, and now LX100).

I was VERY glad that I had thrown the little fella in my camera bag for a trip to China early this year, because I managed to break my LX100 on the second day of the trip with a nasty fall on the Chinese Wall, and then a week or so later, my EM-1 gave up with shutter fatigue (I should have seen that coming).

While waiting to be able to replace the E-M1 in Hong Kong with a "new" (barely used) second-hand copy in one of the numerous shops there, the GM-5 was the only camera I had left to do all the photography for a whole week, often in iconic places (like the DragonBone rice terraces). It performed very very well, even without IBIS and non-stabilized lenses.

While in Hong Kong, I took the opportunity to also buy a stabilized Panasonic 100-300mm lens, in order to have a stabilized telephoto option for the GM5. The combo looks unbalanced (and it IS also unbalanced : don't use the neckstrap...), but really operates nicely.

...that would be the GM1 Lol, sorry, just being an A$$. Should probably look into getting a GM5 as well even though I love my GM1.

In any case, shutter fatigue? Approximately what was your shutter count for your E-M1?  You generally don't hear about anyone wearing out their shutters (unless they are pros....). Just curious.

Strangely, I think I use my GM1 way more than my main camera (GX8). It's just so conveniently small for me to take everywhere...

-- hide signature --

Hubert
My non-digital gear: Agfa Isolette, Ricohflex VII, Bessa R, Bessa L, Zorky 4, Fed 2, Konica Big Mini, Konica Auto S2, K1000, Yashica Electro 35 GX, Recesky
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2034/2457111090_00eafbf8a4_m.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow