GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,210
Re: GM5 miscellaneous camera size issues

Tom Caldwell wrote:

if you just want compact cameras with folding zoom lenses. The GeM series cannot compete there - I see them as just very small cameras and not “pocketable” ones.

I mostly agree, though a GM with a 20 can fit in a coat pocket.  My last foray into a compact camera (Oly TG-4) didn't last long - the image quality and lack of EVF caused me to sell it not long after the purchase.  I might try a 1" sensor camera sometime, like one of the RX100 models, maybe the IV.

Try and fit a fast prime - (say) a 42.5/1.2 Nocticron type lens, the Olympus 75/1.8 and where is the RX100 then?

Yup, I've happily used my GM5 with the Nocticron.

But we all have our own personal needs - I actually like being able to pick and choose whether I fit a GM5 or G9 to any given lens. This is the whole point of a system that has multiple camera body styles and sizes.

Absolutely!  I recently took my GM5 with 20 and 42.5 f/1.7 lenses to an outdoor concert.  The rules stated no photography allowed, but of course half the audience were using their cell phones to take photos and record videos.  The GM5 with those small lenses was inconspicuous enough that I was able to get some shots.  And I didn't annoy all the people behind me with a cell phone screen up above my head shooting video.

I'm very pleased to have a wide set of options (both size and capabilities) in bodies (GM5, GX7, GX8, and G9) and lenses to choose from to suit my needs for a particular purpose.  I don't know if any other system offers such range - I confess I haven't felt the need to keep up on all other systems.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow