Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,002
Re: I think your weights are wrong

michaeladawson wrote:

Just read your post now. I posted the exact same thing further down The OP must be considering bringing 4 or 5 extra batteries, which I think is unnecessary.

Having read a few of the other posts however, I agree with some other thoughts as well. After years of traveling and hauling camera gear I stopped and thought about what I came home with. I rarely changed lenses. It was too much of a pain in the rear, especially traveling with a companion who gets tired of stopping and waiting.

I would bring wide, normal, and tele zooms. I would get home and find that 90% of my shots were taken at 24mm or longer and often times the tele zoom never came out of the bag. I often travel now with only the 24-120. Sometimes I pack a wide angle zoom or wide prime for the trip but it often stays in the hotel room when I go out for the day.

So lightening the travel kit doesn't necessarily mean switching to mirrorless.

Agreed, but it obviously it depends on what you are doing, what kit you are taking and what you are prepared to sacrifice. I would still rather the Z7 + 24-70 f4S or Z7 + 24-70 f2.8S than my larger and heavier D850 + 24-70 f2.8E VR.

D850 = 915gms

24-70 f2.8E VR = 1070gms

Total = 1985gms

Z6/7 = 585gms

24-70 f2.8 = 805gms

Total = 1390gms.

Saving = 595gms

Is it a saving? Well, it is still over half a kg and much smaller physically.

Or

24-70 f4S = 500gms

Z7 + 24-70 f4S = 1085gms

Saving = 900gms.

Almost 1kg saving. This can be quite a bit if you really want to go light and small.

The other thing is the unobtrusiveness of the Z system.

What ever the case, I decided that the smaller system was worth it and the future is probably going to be ML anyway so, why not get in early and get it now and save the weight and size now. Now that I have, I am supremely happy. Others can make up their own mind as to what compromises they endure.

The thing is, I just wanted to make sure the weights posted here were correct.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow