Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
mamallama
mamallama Forum Pro • Posts: 56,059
Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

tbcass wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

tbcass wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Cameras are the main if not only reason people are upgrading their phones these days, which is why phone companies are pouring so much R&D money into them. Performance otherwise is more than good enough and has been for years.

I do not believe that is true and you don't know that either. In fact what I see is just the opposite, The vast majority are casual photographers and care little about the quality of their camera phones. They find they are good enough now.

Of course it's true. If casual smartphone users don't care about the cameras, why are phone companies spending so much effort and money to upgrade them? Why do phone review sites have in depth sections on the cameras, testing IQ and performance? Why are websites like DPR and DxO increasingly covering and reviewing phone cameras? Seems like a lot of effort for something nobody cares about.

They do this for the small minority of smartphone fanatics like you who do care. There are billions of smartphone users out there so even if only 1% of them care about smartphone camera quality it's still enough to sell a few extra magazines or get some extra clicks to a review site. What you see very little of are successful review sites that focus solely on phone photography.

Camera phone advocates constantly declare that the camera phones as they exist are good enough for the vast majority of the population and then turn around and say it's the driving force behind sales. You can't have it both ways.

Yes, for SOME phone users, existing phones are good enough. For SOME, they want more, and are large enough in number that it's warranted investment by phone makers, and increased coverage by photography and tech sites. Phone users, like camera users, or any group of people, are not a monolith moving and thinking in lockstep.

Not according to the smartphone advocates who claim that billions of phone users find the cameras good enough. If you replace the word SOME with THE VAST MAJORITY in your paragraph above you would be right. You are overstating the importance of smartphone camera quality based on your opinion, not the vast majority of users. All one has to do is look around at the way the general public uses their smartphone cameras to know I'm right.

Why would I want camera phones to go away? I find mine very useful for many things, use it all the time, find it good for what I use it for and wouldn't buy a phone without one. I will not delude myself into believing they will ever be anywhere near as good as my dedicated cameras.

I have never claimed them to be comparable to dedicated cameras; quite the opposite actually. But your implication that only dedicated camera users care about camera IQ is flat out wrong.

I never claimed or implicated that only dedicated camera users care about IQ. I stated that the vast majority (not all) of smartphone users aren't very picky about IQ so advances in smartphone photography will not be a significant driver of sales.

You have no idea that the vast majority of smartphone users don't care about IQ. Look at the sales promotion brochures and videos for new smartphones and you will see a large emphasis on the new advances of the cameras. So the companies are using new camera features to appeal to buyers.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow