Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,129
Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Michael Fryd wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Cameras are the main if not only reason people are upgrading their phones these days, which is why phone companies are pouring so much R&D money into them. Performance otherwise is more than good enough and has been for years.

Do you have a source for this claim?

Off hand, none of my friends who have upgraded their smartphones have done so in order to get a better camera.

While a better camera is certainly one reason for upgrading a smart phone, it is not the only reason.

Well I know people who have upgraded phones just to get better cameras. That's the problem with anecdotes.

Newer smart phones have

• Faster network connections
  • Faster processors for better gaming experience
  • Bigger screens
  • Better and easier security (i.e. fingerprint sensors or face ID)
  • More storage
  • Better battery life
  • Better cameras
  • etc.

While it may be true that better cameras are the primary reason most people upgrade, I would be surprised if that's the case.

A lot of these just aren't true. 5G is not widely available yet and network connections are faster for everybody. Most games are casual and well within the performance envelope of older phones. Screens are getting SMALLER thanks to aspect ratio changes. Storage hasn't budged much. Etc. But camera development is big.

My guess would be that most people upgrade because their old phone broke, or no longer seems to work well. The vast array of new features make the high price easier to tolerate.

Per feature, phones have never been cheaper. And let's not confuse replacements with upgrades. If someone's discontinued old phone breaks and they get a current model, sure they "upgraded", but only because they had no other choice. I am talking about people buying new phones they don't need.

Remember, not all smart phones have the same camera systems. If cameras really were the primary force in phone sales, we wouldn't expect to see very many sales in any model that didn't have the latest and greatest camera.

See previous point. Also phone users are not a monolith.

The smartphone market will continue to grow, as it becomes capable of filling in additional segments of consumer demand. However, there will always be some sort of specialty market for higher end cameras that can do tasks the typical consumer just doesn't need.

For sure, I am pretty sure I have said as much.

My only point about smartphones is that there are a sizable number of phone buyers interested in phone camera IQ who can and do buy new phones just for the better cameras. This is evident in the investment being made into phone cameras by phone makers, phone accessory makers, and the increasing interest in phone photography by camera and tech media.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow