Animal Eye AF

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 43,580
Re: Animal Eye AF

Chikubi wrote:

That's a fair enough point. I was mostly thinking along my own experience because my main print size is close to what you had chosen, but now that you mention it I have also seen the tendency for people to get up close to really large prints.

I chose that size because it's between average and very large prints.

In 2012, I attended a show at the University of Chicago of work by Dawoud Bey where most of the prints were from large format film and were printed very large - like 4-5' on the long side - and I admit that getting up close to them made a world of difference in the impact they had on me. I had seen some of them online previously and wasn't really blown away, but in person it was another thing altogether.

Nothing can compete with the impact of huge prints and that includes large high res screens, at least for me. I can imagine others might feel differently.

If you like detail, and also a bit of cinematic surrealism, you might like the work of Gregory Crewdson if you don't already know it. He lives for massive amounts of detail, his prints are huge typically, and a lot of the fun is looking through them to pick out fine details he includes despite the overall theme of the image itself being interesting in its own right. Also, if you like history, take a look at shorpy.com if you have never checked it out. Lots of hi-res scans of turn-of-the-century 8x10 plates and later medium format images as well. Tons of of detail and the clarity almost makes you feel like you're there in person. Much fun to be had.

Thanks for that info.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow