Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Jonsi
Jonsi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,304
Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Michael Fryd wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

Cameras are the main if not only reason people are upgrading their phones these days, which is why phone companies are pouring so much R&D money into them. Performance otherwise is more than good enough and has been for years.

Do you have a source for this claim?

Off hand, none of my friends who have upgraded their smartphones have done so in order to get a better camera.

While a better camera is certainly one reason for upgrading a smart phone, it is not the only reason.

Newer smart phones have

• Faster network connections
  • Faster processors for better gaming experience
  • Bigger screens
  • Better and easier security (i.e. fingerprint sensors or face ID)
  • More storage
  • Better battery life
  • Better cameras
  • etc.

While it may be true that better cameras are the primary reason most people upgrade, I would be surprised if that's the case.

I read an article that said the only upgrades are minor increases in performance (your list above), and cameras, and that's the reason phone sales are dropping.  Minimal upgrades combined with long-lasting quality.  People just aren't excited about new phones.

And when you see their commercials, what is the focus?  Most of the time it's the camera.

My guess would be that most people upgrade because their old phone broke, or no longer seems to work well.

Correct.

Even the cameras aren't exciting enough to upgrade for.

The vast array of new features make the high price easier to tolerate.

Yet they still aren't selling all that well.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow