What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Krav Maga
Krav Maga Senior Member • Posts: 2,951
Re: What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

lilBuddha wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

lilBuddha wrote:

Krav Maga wrote:

Negative space does not need to be complicated or be represented with lop-sided imagery. Look at a photo. Identify the main subject of said photo. Anything that isn't the main subject is negative space.

But it is more complicated than this. Negative space is one technique and one can have a distinct subject with no negative space.

No, it's not.

Also you left out the part where I mentioned positive space; something you allude to. But it's a very simple concept.

Application can be more complicated than concept.

For instance, leading lines. They can be subtle background, they can be so strong as to be part of the subject or they can sit in between. And it is that space between that complicates the concept.

Again, you're way over complicating a simple concept. You're talking about what one can do with negative space, not what it is. Again, in a nutshell, negative space is everything in the frame that is not the main subject of the photo.

Really, that's it.

You're talking about choices one can make regarding negative space. That's a whole different thing, but it still doesn't negate the simplicity of what it is. A needle and thread is a simple thing that can be used to create highly complex things.

Of course, positive space not withstanding as that't another topic, too.

-- hide signature --

I feel more like I do now than I did before ...
https://www.danielmedley.com

Krav Maga's gear list:Krav Maga's gear list
Nikon D5200 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tko
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow