Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,335
Re: Travel, DSLR, Mirrorless, Weight and Cost = Conundrum.

I don't mean to quibble about the weight calculations, but my data sources indicate

• Z7 is 415 g lighter than a D800E
  • 14-30 is 515 g lighter than the 14-24
  • 24-70 is 210 g lighter than the 24-120
  • The FTZ adapter will add 165 g
  • Batteries are 80 g each

Did I miss any equipment here?

So before taking batteries into account the Z7 kit is 975 g lighter than the D800E.  That is over 2 pounds.

So on to batteries.  How many extra batteries do you need?  To get down to your 600g difference you would need to be traveling with 4 extra batteries over what you carry for you DSLR.  Is your purpose to get through an entire vacation without recharging?  Or do you recharge at the end of the day?  The Z7 battery life is not that bad.  How many shots do you take in one day?

Having quibbled now   I would agree with the general premise that buying into the mirrorless option is an expensive proposition simply for 2 pounds of weight savings.  I use both DSLR and mirrorless and weight was the last thing on my list of reasons for buying a Z7.  It's an advantage, just not high on my list.

Also, don't dismiss bulk.  While perhaps not hugely lighter, the mirrorless package will fit in a smaller bag.

But if I were you I would probably stick with the D800E and see about changing your lens sections.  Buy into the Z line only if you really want to start shooting mirrorless.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow