Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,665
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Ed Rizk wrote:

Very nice shots, as were others of yours that I have seen.

Thanks.

Some of mine are for my own listings, so if the improvement gets me one more prospect that closes a deal, it pays for the lens. If it's a really good prospect, it pays for the whole system. My straight photography work for other brokers has made me a profit well above my equipment, but I don't know if or how many more I have than I would if I stuck with my 60D and 10-22 lens.

I think it would take a special case for a realtor to notice, even if only subconsciously. The vast majority of the time an APS-C body and 10-22 will get results that are light years beyond what the typical realtor can take on their own.

If, as you say, it will generate the best results, I'm happy. One never knows what little improvement pushes a deal over the edge, so I do the best I can in the time I have.

I think the bigger value of the TS is that it saves you time, gets you the shots you want, and makes you happy. And of course the shots that truly demand shift. This shot would have benefited from shift, but how much? Enough for a realtor to notice? Only if you showed them an A/B comparison I think.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62898513?image=5

However this all may be moot as more realtors are figuring out they can get "good enough" shots by taking panoramas with their smartphones.  The r/e photographer is only going to be needed for 7 figure listings and up.  Until now, half the value of hiring a pro was for their wide angle lens.

JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow