Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Michael Fryd wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Jonsi wrote:

mamallama wrote:

tbcass wrote:

You and others always emphasize that smartphone photography is good enough for the vast majority of the population. The problem with all this is the vast majority of phone users are happy with the photographs their phones produce now so all this computational photography won't spur phone sales, which are in decline, enough to matter. Because of that research into improving phone photography will stall.

As I said in another post, these smartphone companies got R&D money to burn, particularly Apple. So don't expect R&D into smartphone cameras to stop. They have their sights beyond today's smartphone cameras. They are a predatory company and see bigger mountains to climb. That is what is frightening some camera companies.

You repeat these things a lot but do you have any evidence at all of the camera manufacturers saying they are frightened of phone companies and their "bigger mountains"...?

Why do you think Leica has restructured to form a group to hire a team of software photography experts? That, to me is evidence that they are concerned they need to shift gears.

So Leica's interest in software means "camera companies are frightened of phone companies".

Restructuring with emphasis on photographic software experts (not just workers) is not just casual interest. That is my evidence that you asked for.

It's all just the usual hyperbole then ?

Of course.

You can make your own interpretation. The announcement sounded like an urgency to me. The market trends would certainly justify an urgency.

More information to show fight for survival urgency:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/26/japanese-camera-companies-fight-for-survival-in-the-smartphone-era.html

There are many reasons other than fear for business decisions.

I use the word fear as a euphemism for seeing the need to do something to prevent a downward business trend. I do not think anyone in the business is actually afraid.

One possible reason is that a company may feel that it does not have the expertise and/or capitol to effectively compete in a saturated market segment.

Exactly. And we know what that expertise (computational software expertise) is and what the saturated market segment (cameras in general) is.

A company may feel that certain proprietary intellectual property might give them an advantage in a different segment.

I have some college friends who became blacksmiths. They do well at it as there is very little competition.

mamallama's gear list:mamallama's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow