Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
jm10 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,028
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Thanks for the interesting analysis Mike. I find it very informative.

The only quibble with it might be your statement that it "should settle any debate as to which lens Fuji (the experts!) thinks is sharpest". It is probably safe to say that the debate will continue and actually has not seriously started yet since only few preliminary samples have been produced.

The value of your analysis is in comparing the best theoretical predictions for the four lenses under your analysis and I think this is a fair comparison with the understanding that no physical units are being compared. We don't really know how close production units match these theoretical predictions. Even some well-known evaluation houses like "Optical Limits" for example look at one sample and it is not possible to know where it falls on the Gaussian performance curve.

Lens Rentals is probably in the best position to answer these questions but it will take some time for them the obtain the data for statistical analysis. Roger has done some excellent analysis in the past based on 100p batches or so...

I own only the 18-55mm from the lenses that you looked at, probably a very good sample, very happy with it, so if the new lens will be optically at least as good, will be very interested in it.

If you have the time and inclination the XF 10-24 mm zoom MFT charts may be of some interest for you to look at. Although the focal range is only a partial overlap I noticed an interesting similarity between the charts. Not sure why; a constant f4 perhaps???

Anyway, thanks again for good analysis.

jacob

jm10's gear list:jm10's gear list
Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow