Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,772
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

decaf14 wrote:

Didn't take me too long. Copy+paste into photoshop and adjust layer color. I saw a lot of bickering in the 16-80 preview thread on the MTF test and which looked better, so I wanted to clear things up.

Yes, the 16-55 has proven to be an excellent lens. What's interesting is that it does have some undesirable qualities that don't manifest themselves in MTF tests such as barrel distortion at lower focal lengths. Other people such as lenstips can and have tested this. They indeed give a much more thorough analysis. The 16-55 seems to generally be the best performer buy a wide margin, though.

My idea for taking it from the Fuji website was simple. This is the only MTF data we have on the 16-80. Additionally we can get the data 'straight from the horses mouth', so to speak. This data is the culmination of years of optical design from Fuji themselves. There's no chance for testing error or sample-sample variation. They chose the MTF chart they thought would be most representative of the lens they designed.

Isn't Fuji -like most lens makers - publishing computed [that is: not measured] MTF plots?

(does not make them or what you did useless]

There is the chance for some conspiracy, though, like purposefully making the more expensive lenses appear better in MTF tests to drive users to them. I truly hope they don't do this, but I see why they would. The MTF tests appear to match closely on the three existing lenses to what other people have measured, though. Nevertheless, third party testing is extrmely important.

Thanks for your input!

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow