Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
lewiedude2
lewiedude2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,771
Re: Comparing sharpness of 16-80 to other lenses

decaf14 wrote:

Hello all!

I wanted to create a semi-detailed comparison of the MTF charts for the 16-80 to the 18-55, 18-135, and 16-55. I took the charts from fuji's website, overlapped them in photoshop, and gave an analysis of each comparison.

https://mmphotogandbike.home.blog/2019/07/29/new-fuji-travel-zoom-my-thoughts-on-the-xf-16-80mm-f-4-0-wr-ois-mtf-comparison/

I did this to aid those who are interested in pre-purchasing the 16-80 so they can make a better decision. It's also just fun to discuss the pros and cons of each optical design.

I think the 16-80 will be a solid lens, potentially replacing entirely the need for the 18-55. However, time will tell.

Please let me know what you think of the analysis and leave your thoughts here!

Interesting...You spent considerable time compiling the data and my conclusion for the 'winner' in the 4 lens dataset wouldn't have been any different. I already know my Red Badge 16-55 is a crazy fantastic lens. I would rather see some scientific analysis, ala Lenstip.com, and photographic comparisons - at varying apertures. But, hopefully you didn't post this too soon and hopefully it will become an often commented thread, once the 16-80 is released and being used. Cheers!

lewiedude2's gear list:lewiedude2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow