Animal Eye AF

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Jimmy K.
Jimmy K. Senior Member • Posts: 1,005
Re: Animal Eye AF

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Now only sony's has animal eye AF. Does it just gimmick ?

For Canon and Nikon without animal eye AF does it hard to shot dog or cat ?

Thank

Animal Eye AF makes it easier on stationary pets. I don't shoot running pets, so I cannot comment on that. I have cats, so they just lounge around.

My previous Canon FF 6D DSLR had 11 AF points. Based on my framing, I selected AF point closest to the eye. And if I'm shooting wide open with shallow DOF, I would focus and not recompose. If framing is a bit off, I had crop in post. It worked. Took a few seconds longer. Needed to be aware of situation and shooting parameters.

Now I have Sony A6400 with Eye AF. No need to select AF points nor recompose. The only thing I need to control is left vs right eye. Obviously I want to focus on the closest eye. If there is only a small rotation to the head, camera might not select the correct eye. So with a single button press to toggle between left vs right, I can change select eye as needed.

Jimmy K.'s gear list:Jimmy K.'s gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow