Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 15,121
Re: Why do you buy fast lenses/cameras?

mamallama wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

AOC wrote:

We're already seeing ways to get convincingly good shallow DOF effects without needing large, heavy, and altogether encumbering fast glass.

No we're not. Not if you look at photos at sizes any bigger than a 3x5 print or web resolutions

And the organizations driving computational photography seem to have no interest in applying it to standalone cameras

I think the issue is that those who choose to use bigger cameras are likely not as interested in computational photography as those that shoot with smartphones.

Noise reduction will be a real challenge. Computational photography will be able to provide a clean and noise free low light image, however, the computed details may not match those that were present in real life.

Computational photography is just in its infancy and only widely applied now to very small size cameras. Computational photography research and development is forging ahead at rapid speed and the road ahead is vast. Who know what can be achieved when applied to regular sized cameras. Billions$ in R&D will tell.

Let's wait for the achievements to actually happen before giving credit for them.  You and others are so eager to see smartphones kill standalone cameras you have declared victory in a war that's barely begun.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow