Lee Jay wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

mamallama wrote:

Lee Jay wrote:

mamallama wrote:

sportyaccordy wrote:

AOC wrote:

We're already seeing ways to get convincingly good shallow DOF effects without needing large, heavy, and altogether encumbering fast glass.

No we're not. Not if you look at photos at sizes any bigger than a 3x5 print or web resolutions

And the organizations driving computational photography seem to have no interest in applying it to standalone cameras

Why should they? They are on a path to make big heavy standalone cameras obsolete.

Oh really? I just got back from an outing today where I was shooting with a 150-600 on a 1.6-crop camera at 10fps while tracking high-speed subjects. That will NEVER be doable on a phone-sized device because the device is physically too small to make it happen.

What you just did does not explain why the organizations driving computational photography seem to have no interest in applying it to standalone cameras. You still keep referring everything back to you.

You did - you said "...make big heavy standalone cameras obsolete." That statement is general, meaning for everybody. That's what "obsolete" means.

Do you dispute that they are not on that path

I dispute that they are on that path. I agree they are not on that path..

Your predictions have not been very good. I remember you saying that they cannot get rid of the mirror because contrast detection autofocus is too slow and mirrors are needed for the faster phase detection autofocus needs the mirror to work.

And I was right. What I said was the only hope was on-sensor phase detection.

No you were not.You said Never Never.

Yes - for contrast detection, not for phase detection.  I even complemented Nikon on putting on-sensor phase-detection on their Nikon 1 system.

Now you are saying something different just as you will be when you see what technology can do.

No, you're just a liar.

You cannot think outside the box of what Lee does.

How many patents do you have?

Now look.

We have on-sensor phase detection.

and that is a good reason why they have no interest in applying computational photography to standalone cameras?

One has nothing to do with the other. Google doesn't make cameras, even the cameras in their phones.

What does Google not making cameras have to do with a good reason why they have no interest in applying computational photography to standalone cameras.

You answered your own question.

For sure Google has a very large R&D effort into computational photography right here in Silicon Valley.

And it doesn’t matter what Lee is doing.

It matters because lots of people do challenging things with cameras, not just me.

Don't elevate yourself to that importance. Why does anything Lee does matter to anybody except Lee.

As always, you didn't read for comprehension. Look at the words highlighted.

That is always your claim when you are caught making yourself the arbiter of technology.

You always change the topic when caught being unable to read, as you always are.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow