Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 7,752
Re: Animal Eye AF

New Day Rising wrote:

Max Iso wrote:

rainydiary wrote:

Hi all

Now only sony's has animal eye AF. Does it just gimmick ?

For Canon and Nikon without animal eye AF does it hard to shot dog or cat ?

Thank

People have been taking great animal pics for decades, some without AF at all. Does that answer your question?

It only answers the question in a silly way. People took great sports photos for decades without any form of AF. If doesn't mean AF is a gimmick or that it doesn't make shooting sports easier and more reliable.

Then rain only asked the question in a silly way. Does it change photography? Not at all, it just makes it easier for people who weren't very good at photography before. That was one of many animal shots i have, look here is another. No eye AF needed, the AF is right on her eyes. Amazing eh?

Nobody shoots moving subjects with a DOF so small it won't cover more than the eyes. If they do, not one brand can keep it continuously on the eyes. Most action is shot with a longer lens, and f/2.8 or slower, which means it's not all that hard to aim at a face and keep the eyes in that focal plane.

If your standard is to pick an animal with the longest face you can find, while in motion and with a lens with narrow DOF, well that's neato. I wouldn't trade bad ergos and overpriced lenses for that in a million years.

-- hide signature --

"Teach me how to sacrifice
I'm told that I don't know a thing
But maybe with some time alone
We'll both learn what it means
I feel as though I owe you more
Than just these words of gratitude you read
So before it ends, my friend
I'll teach you how to, bleed...." -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow