Peter Lik

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
lilBuddha Veteran Member • Posts: 4,376
Re: Peter Lik

doady wrote:

jeffnles1 wrote:

I sometimes think the general direction of conversation on DPReview lends more toward the technical and less toward the art of photography. I guess that is understandable with a site that is primarily focused on gear and we tend to "nerd out" on the technology and measurements (MP, MFT charts, lines per inch resolution, Chromatic Aberration, etc.).

In the "technical" perspective, yes, many of his images appear to be composites and pretty heavily post processed. However, looking at it through the eyes of an artist, it matters not how much post processing or how many composites make up the image. If we see it as art, the primary objective is to stir some emotion and the technology behind it becomes less meaningful.

There is a difference between "documentary" photography and "art" photography.

At least that's my thoughts.

Jeff

Documentary photography and art photography are different, but they can also overlap. I have no problem with composites.

I think where Peter Lik's work really differs from art is that he does it primarily to make money, and from unsuspecting tourists mostly. His photography is made for mass appeal as a part of a commercial venture rather than for himself as a form of personal expression.

All art is commercial art unless one does not attempt to sell it. Motive is a false differentiator. Picasso used to use doodles to pay restaurant bills, how crass is that?

That's not to say whether or not he is a talented photographer. But whether someone applies their talents more to business or more to art is a different story. I don't think his work will be hanging from the walls of galleries and museums after he dies. Or at least not galleries and museums that aren't part of the Peter Lik Corporation.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow