Ethics in Night Photography in the Real World

Started Jul 26, 2019 | Discussions thread
Alen K Senior Member • Posts: 1,142
Re: Ethics in Night Photography in the Real World

1llusive wrote:

Alen K wrote:

1llusive wrote:

Alen K wrote:

Here's another photo from Abe of the same location but with only the foreground illuminated artificially. Comparing the two might reveal something about his techniques. One thing for sure: Abe sure does like a blue night sky.

https://www.abeblair.com/gallery.html?gallery=American+West&folio=The%20Art#/59

A clearer image of the original image in discussion: https://www.abeblair.com/gallery.html?gallery=American+West&folio=The+Art&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/0

Looking through Abe's gallery, he does take nice photos.

The landscape is too dark and noisy to be a daytime shot. It is definitely not a noon exposure. It is possible that it is a twilight exposure.

However the light is most intense in the immediate foreground, and falls off the further back you go. This would be consistent with attempts to light the scene. I am very skeptical he got that much light on the mountains with small LEDs, though. No way this whole scene was lit with LEDs on a drone.

The glow around the mountain top indicates it is likely a blend. My money is on twilight foreground with LED assist + sky astro blend. The LED assist from above would explain the higher concentration of light on the top of the rocks, and darkness underneath, as well as the bright reflection from the snow.

Interesting. To my eyes the lighting is pretty even throughout the scene. And if the LED lights were flown on a drone which was hovering in one place, the shadows would be at different angles for different objects depending on their distance from the drone. If OTOH the drone was not hovering but moving, then there wouldn't be any distinct shadows. Two different opinions. In any case, we'll never know the truth of it.

PS. Here's a daytime shot of the same scene (more or less) for comparison: https://www.abeblair.com/gallery.html?gallery=American+West&folio=The+Art&vimeoUserID=&vimeoAlbumID=#/8

That link is taking me to the same picture in the OP?

I think if a drone were used to light the scene from above, it would have to be flown pretty high in order to not appear in the image. So with enough altitude, I don't think you'd get a lot of light under that rock.

The mountains in the distance are much darker than the immediate area and the snow in front and center is much brighter than the snow on the far cliffs, hinting at local lighting rather than something global like the sun.

If it was lit during the day, the OP did an awful lot of painting in of exposure reduction to make it appear like a night image lit with LEDs. That would seem unlikely, but possible, I guess.

I can't seem to get a link that works from one machine to another. Try going to the same picture as the OP and advancing eight times.

I don't know for sure which direction the sun is coming from in that shot but the shadows of the bushes are directly under them. (The time of year is different than the photo in the OP, for sure)

I agree that is seems unlikely a drone was actually used to light the scene in the photo n the OP; any part of it. But what then is the source of the shadows under the bushes and the shadows created by slight overhangs in the rocks? They are pretty obvious. We can even clearly see the creek bed, which means it was illuminated from above. Would general sky glow be enough to illuminate it? But general skyglow wouldn't create vertical shadows.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow