Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,568
Re: well

Lee Jay wrote:

tko wrote:

Michael Fryd wrote:

tko wrote:

trungtran wrote:

If i want better IQ in the low light, i use a bigger sensor

Bigger sensor don't gather more light, but bigger lenses do.

In terms of the lens, the angle of view and aperture diameter are the two main factors in how much light you gather. Generally, for a given angle of view, it's easier to find a lens with a large aperture for larger sensor cameras.

The OP implied he used a bigger sensor instead of of a bigger lens. They tend to go tougher, but you still need that faster lens.

At the same f-stop, a bigger sensor is faster but the reason it's faster is that at the same angle of view the longer focal length lens has a larger entrance pupil.

At the same aperture diameter and same angle of view, the light captured is independent of sensor size.

When we compare a crop body to a full frame, we seldom compare at the same focal length, as the result of the focal length depends on sensor size.

Why would you want to compare at the same f/stop?   The advantage of same f/stop is that we can maintain the same light per unit area on the sensor.   But different sensor sizes give us different noise levels at the same light per unit area.  That's no more a fair comparison that comparing at the same focal length.

If you want to compare at the same camera settings, use the same settings; same focal length, same f/stop, same ISO.

If you want to compare when you want similar results, then adjust the focal length to yield the same angle of view, use the same aperture diameter, and adjust the ISO to match.  (i.e. if your full frame is at 50mm, f/4 and ISO 800, your 2X crop body should either be at the same, or at 25mm, f/2, ISO 200.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
tko
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow