Peter Lik

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
jeffnles1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,192
Re: Peter Lik

roytempest wrote:

I was fortunate enough to travel to Las Vegas on business last week and, while I was there, took a quick look inside one of Peter's very expensive stores. Being a member of the proletariat, obviously I didn't buy any of his work.

I remembered that there is a lot of controversy in the photography community around his work.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite, how much PP is reasonable, and the relative merits of his extraordinary ability to self-promote.

That said his images certainly are striking.

Thoughts?

I sometimes think the general direction of conversation on DPReview lends more toward the technical and less toward the art of photography.  I guess that is understandable with a site that is primarily focused on gear and we tend to "nerd out" on the technology and measurements (MP, MFT charts, lines per inch resolution, Chromatic Aberration, etc.).

In the "technical" perspective, yes, many of his images appear to be composites and pretty heavily post processed.  However, looking at it through the eyes of an artist, it matters not how much post processing or how many composites make up the image.  If we see it as art, the primary objective is to stir some emotion and the technology behind it becomes less meaningful.

There is a difference between "documentary" photography and "art" photography.

At least that's my thoughts.

Jeff

jeffnles1's gear list:jeffnles1's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Tokina 11-20mm F2.8 +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow