Peter Lik

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,328
Re: Peter Lik

roytempest wrote:

I was fortunate enough to travel to Las Vegas on business last week and, while I was there, took a quick look inside one of Peter's very expensive stores. Being a member of the proletariat, obviously I didn't buy any of his work.

I remembered that there is a lot of controversy in the photography community around his work.

I am not knowledgeable enough to know how "original" his work is, but I know there has been some controversy around whether certain images are composite, how much PP is reasonable, and the relative merits of his extraordinary ability to self-promote.

That said his images certainly are striking.

Thoughts?

We have one of his galleries at the Houston Galleria and his work is stunning. But many of the images are certainly composites and heavily manipulated. Personally, I don't have a problem with this approach in that it is considered "art" instead of straight documentary photography. The main things are that it works, is beautiful and undoubtedly earns him a potful of money and fame. I sure wouldn't mind hanging some of his images on my walls, though I might want to buy a BMW instead.

-- hide signature --
 hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow