What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Just Tim 4
Just Tim 4 Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Re: What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

stevo23 wrote:

Certainly a thorough explanation. What I see you doing is reducing edge flicker which is a good idea except in this instance, I'm not sure there is anything to dislike about the middle one. But back to the definition - I would have expected you to say that negative space is low detail void given your use. IE, you're using negative space to reduce edge flicker.

Hmmm...

As I said a long while ago, in a galaxy far far away...

"This is the part I don't understand, (or is it because I fail to communicate the idea properly?), that on forums we don't question our base assumptions or the way in which we see. We generally assume that because we see something in an image that it is an intrinsic property of an image and is therefore contained within an image and can be categorised and labelled. We also view the opinions of others and instinctively try to fit them within our own base assumptions. We try to fit new ideas into our current understanding rather then see that the concepts are actually about changing and questioning that viewpoint and understanding."

You have a set of pigeon-holes which you use to classify and categorise images. This rigid set of labels doesn't include one that allows you to label *negative space*. And yet you steadfastly refuse to create a new understanding. Instead you continually try to fit it within those same pigeon-holes that fail to give you an understanding.

Back to your definition, it fails...

*Spot* the difference.  

You have all the information you need from multiple posters, it's up to you.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tko
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow