What is (and is not) "Negative Space"? (And how do you use it.)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Barry Twycross Senior Member • Posts: 1,456
Re: Samples:

lilBuddha wrote:

New Day Rising wrote:

Donald B wrote:

MediaArchivist wrote:

Over in the challenges section of this site, there is a challenge specifically for negative space. The entries can give you an idea of how other people think of it, and use it.

https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Challenge.aspx?ID=13810

most have no idea what negative space is in that challenge.

Don

I have to agree. Many are just using space around the main subject, but then filling it with stuff. I went through all of them and 20-25% are what I would call negative space.

I just went through all of the submissions and if you think many or most don't use negative space, then I disagree with your definitions.

I think there are several that do not qualify at all and a couple that are subjective, but most use negative space.

This is why I asked the question. When does background become negative space. How much can be in negative space before it becomes background. As I said, their ideas are in a lot of cases not mine.

Does a blurred background qualify? How blurred?

Does a background with texture qualify? How textured?

Barry Twycross's gear list:Barry Twycross's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Leica Nocticron 42.5mm Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tex
tko
tex
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow