Why micro contrast is hard to discuss in DPR forums

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 13,864
Why micro contrast is hard to discuss in DPR forums

Chronic absence of agreement on the actual definition of micro contrast.

Chronic absence of controlled A/B comparisons of the same scene, showing what sort of visual difference 'good' micro contrast makes, in isolation of other factors.

Chronic reliance on single image examples accompanied by a statement saying This photo with lens X has good micro contrast, as if that is explanation enough.

Nothing has changed with the most recent thread that locked after 150 posts.

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Not our job to try and convince you of anything.

I see. What is your job here?

Not everything can be quantified with a numeric value.

That's fine because I mentioned nothing at all about quantification with a numeric value.

Look and see what I actually wrote.

Some people can see hear or taste differences between one thing and another, others can't.

Nobody - not even you - can see the differences between one thing and another if they are never shown the things in a way that they can be directly compared.

Repeat: The reason why micro contrast is hard to discuss in DPR forums is absence of agreement on its actual definition, absence of controlled A/B comparisons of the same scene, showing what sort of visual difference 'good' micro contrast makes, in isolation of other factors, and reliance on single image examples accompanied by a statement saying This photo with lens X has good micro contrast, as if that is explanation enough.

I don't expect any of that will change in this thread either.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow