fferreres Senior Member • Posts: 1,518
Re: Favorite Adapted/Legacy Lenses for Landscapes

biza43 wrote:

RemcoR wrote:

biza43 wrote:

RemcoR wrote:

biza43 wrote:

RemcoR wrote:

Why? I know what I want in my landscape lenses, and I already have them. The shot posted as an example for the 35-70 was badly focused anyway.

Perhaps this is better? https://www.dpreview.com/challenges/Entry.aspx?ID=1112186&View=Results&Rows=4

RemcoR

Sorry, still strangely fuzzy, nothing seems sharp.

Last try......

Contax 35-70/3.4

RemcoR

This one is in focus, but does it have any "magic"? Kidding...

There are some strange halos though:

This one hasn't and also has the nice.. eh I call it "special" 3D rendering Contax/Zeiss are known for:

These two testshots show great sharpness of the Contax zoom right to the edge.

Contax 35-70/3.4

Same Contax zoom. Look at the name of the bridge!

I can go on with 100+ examples but the bottom line for me is this: why would I pay 6 times as much for a modern zoom like the Sony I mentioned when I have these results with my 35 year old Contax zoom that only costs 300-350 EURO/USD? That is enough magic in itself!

RemcoR

These are better. No doubt it is a good lens, and it shows. There are many old gems out there. I think one of the advantage of modern lenses (zooms and primes) is better overall quality when you go below 35mm.

Definitely, below 35mm new optics make a difference (corner, moustache). Even good old optics are a bit dated (still super usable but not the best). And also, with the advent of very high resolution sensors, some affordable lenses that where very good for 25MP or 15MP, will show their age. I think Zeiss or any high microcontrast one will have a longer lifespan, than otherwise very lovely lenses that don't (eg. Minolta lenses, but not built for that level of detail at all in general).

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow