Peter Lik

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
pcrc11 Regular Member • Posts: 278
Re: Peter Lik

Bill Ferris wrote:

During a family trip to Vegas last summer, we spent part of a day at the Forum Shops at Caesars. This retail center includes several artist galleries, such as "Modernist Cuisine" featuring amazing limited edition prints by Nathan Myhrvold, "LIK Fine Art Gallery," displaying the work of Peter Lik and the "National Geographic Fine Art Gallery," which represents a variety of photographers and their outstanding images. While I'm not personally a fan of Lik's work, I would encourage anyone who spends time in Sin City and has an interest to visit his and other galleries. Seeing a large print of a photograph, in person in a gallery, is a very different experience from viewing the same image on a smartphone or computer screen. There truly is no comparison between the two experiences.

As a dedicated nature and wildlife photographer, I found the exhibited photographs in the Nat Geo gallery, inspirational. There's a Joel Sartore photo on display of a grizzly bear about to snatch a salmon, midair. Sartore does fantastic work. His photo ark project is truly admirable. If he'd pressed the shutter release just 1/100-second later, his bear photo would have been nearly identical to Tom Mangelsen's iconic, "Catch of the Day," which was made a decade before. You know a photo is legitimately iconic when, years later, an established professional photographer captures a nearly identical image that's good enough for National Geographic.

We were there a few months ago. I enjoyed both the Lik and Nat Geo galleries very much. I did spend much more time in the Nat Geo gallery and found those prints to be a lot more interesting.

pcrc11's gear list:pcrc11's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX II +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AOC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow