Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Ed Rizk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,471
Re: Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Ian L wrote:

Thanks for the replies from everyone. I'm not sure why but for some reason I stopped getting notifications so I didn't see all these additional posts.

So, just to clear things up a bit for my specific situation:

I'm not shooting anything super high end (usually). Mainly due i think to my location. Detroit is the largest closest city and it's about a 90 minute drive for me. I have gotten a handful of nicer shoots in detroit.

I do however want to shoot higher end stuff, not just for the money, but i also enjoy it. And regardless of what I am shooting I always want to know if there's a way to take better shots.

Using the laowa TS macro lens might be an interesting option. Which also reminded me of their 12mm lens as well, which sounds tempting.

Just sort of in that akward space where I'm not sure i want to spend more money on gear unless i know for sure it's going to pay off since I'm still trying to build up my revenue.

The 17 is an awesome piece of glass. It will up your game for the reasons stated by other posters here, and for one not considered here.

As I go through properties, residential or retail, I consistently find myself wanting to emphasize either the ceiling or the floor. If both are equally good looking, which is rare, you can keep the lens level, unless you want a high or low perspective.

Inside you might want a high or low perspective to put an interesting item in the foreground, be it a light fixture or an interesting glass sculpture on a low table. Outside, you often need a high or low perspective to get a shot over a pool fence or to make a nicely landscaped sign area more prominent than the ugly building behind it.

A 24 would be wide enough for some exterior shots, but not all. If you're shooting a building that is close to the street, you need as wide as you can get. Shopping centers need wide and shift, because the buildings are so wide, and the sky is prettier than the parking lot. Tall buildings almost always require the width and the shift. You can always crop to the 24mm AOV.

I'm a broker that also shoots for other brokers and owners. Every advantage in IQ and creativity is worth a lot in my opinion. Non photographers noticed when I went from a P&S to the 60D with a 10-22, and they noticed when I went to the 6D with the TSE 17. I make a lot of presentations in person with printed flyers for retail leases and investment sales. When the shot is right, the prospects eyes stay on the paper longer. The longer the eyes stay on the paper, the more of the printed information the mind absorbs and the more the subconscious becomes invested in the deal.

On a marketing note, developers who own nice architecture love to hang wall prints of their properties with nice sunsets behind them on their office walls. As a broker, that has become my standard closing gift for my owners. Tenants get digital files. Many use them for their marketing. Both are cheaper than a good bottle of single malt scotch, last longer, and remind the client of me every day. As a product for sale, it might cost more than a good bottle of single malt, but commercial brokers and brokers who work with builders might be customers for it.

Get the 17. You won't regret it.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow