Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Michael Fryd
Michael Fryd Forum Pro • Posts: 11,482
Re: On the other hand

mmarian wrote:

I guess it all depends. To me having worked with TS-E lenses for many years, the shift feature especially is indispensable. How someone shooting architecture can claim rarely using shift on their technical cameras is beyond me quite frankly. These lenses give you extra freedom when composing especially interior shots allowing you to place the camera higher (to eye level or even higher) without having half of the image filled with ceiling as is the case with normal WA lenses if you want to keep camera level. To avoid this you are left with having to tilt the camera downwards or placing it low at hip level or lower. Fixing the perspective in post not only deteriorates the quality towards the edges but you are cropping large parts of what you captured. The more you tilt the camera the more image you loose by fixing the perspective in post. But to each his own.

I am not going to argue with you about benefits of TS-E lenses if you can't see them and appreciate them it would be pointless. But accusing photographers who use TS-E lenses of "rhapsodizing about their very expensive purchase" is not only simplistic and ignorant statement but also insulting and plain silly.

One way around this is to use a camera with a lot of pixels.  With a 50 megapixel camera, you can have half the image filled with ceiling, and still be left with a high quality image  Similarly, you can tilt the camera up/down, and correct the parallels in post, and still have a very high quality image.

An advantage of a high megapixel camera, is that you have the ability to crop and correct with all of your lenses, not just a few fixed focal length primes.

The high pixel count can occasionally be helpful in jobs that don't need tilt or shift.

====

Now I am not saying that high megapixel bodies are "better" than tilt/shift lenses.  I am merely pointing out there is frequently more than one way to achieve the same high quality result.

A tilt/shift lens requires you to take more time when shooting.  You may need to spend more time on location.  If you are correcting in post, you may be able to spend less time on location, and more in post processing.   Some people like to minimize post processing.  Some people would rather minimize the time they need at the location, particularly if the realtor/owner is waiting around for you to finish.

Pick the tools that are a better match for your desired workflow.  Don't worry if someone else uses a different method to get the same results.

Michael Fryd's gear list:Michael Fryd's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW130 Canon EOS D60 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow