Tilt-Shift lens worth it?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 1,865
Re: On the other hand

Photomonkey wrote:

Ian L wrote:

JackM wrote:

Put it this way - I've done a few hundred r/e shoots and paid for all my gear several times over without a TS lens. I've never had a realtor complain or mention anything about excessive ceiling in my shots. So it's clearly not necessary unless you are shooting a lot of exteriors of tall-ish buildings. For interiors it's really just a convenience for the photographer, and you could probably get some marketing mileage out of saying you have a special tilt-shift perspective control lens. Still would be nice though.

Oh, i know i can keep using just a wide angle, and that probably 95% of all professional shot r/e images are not done with a t/s lens. But I'm interested in getting my photos as good as I possibly can. It's a little bit of an obsession. So i'm mainly just wondering if the t/s lens will make any difference, vs just using perspective correction in LR/PS.

TS lenses are sharp but most of the puffery you hear is from those rhapsodizing about their very expensive purchase.

In Julius Shulman's book on architectural photography notes that he rarely used the movements on his view camera. That is my experience in 20+ years of doing it.

In addition the notion that quality loss is significant when adjusting perspective in post is just wrong. Moderate corrections do not show issues at al. Moreover, if they were, they are at the edges and often in areas of no detail.

Like most obsessions, reality falls far short of fantasy.

I guess it all depends. To me having worked with TS-E lenses for many years, the shift feature especially is indispensable. How someone shooting architecture can claim rarely using shift on their technical cameras is beyond me quite frankly. These lenses give you extra freedom when composing especially interior shots allowing you to place the camera higher (to eye level or even higher) without having half of the image filled with ceiling as is the case with normal WA lenses if you want to keep camera level. To avoid this you are left with having to tilt the camera downwards or placing it low at hip level or lower. Fixing the perspective in post not only deteriorates the quality towards the edges but you are cropping large parts of what you captured. The more you tilt the camera the more image you loose by fixing the perspective in post. But to each his own.

I am not going to argue with you about benefits of TS-E lenses if you can't see them and appreciate them it would be pointless. But accusing photographers who use TS-E lenses of "rhapsodizing about their very expensive purchase" is not only simplistic and ignorant statement but also insulting and plain silly.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow