Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 26,318
QE and binary order of magnitude

Scottelly wrote:

What does it mean to be within a binary order of magnitude?

Within a factor of two.

Are you talking about 10% of theoretical limits?

No, that would be a decimal order of magnitude.

Are you suggesting we can go many times farther than we have come so far?

No.

If that's so, then why has it taken Sony so long to step up from the 24 MP sensor in the A900 to the 61 MP sensor in the A7r IV?

It's not so.

The cameras are about the same price, but it's been about 15 years, and they've barely doubled the number of pixels their flagship sensor captures.

Now you're no longer talking about QE.

To me that seems pathetic,

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't find it so.

but I realize there are a lot of hurdles to get over, and I also realize that image quality has improved in ways other than just resolution.

Yes.

I'd think at some point they'd reach a maximum, but that just doesn't seem to happen. The sensor manufacturers just keep finding ways to make smaller photo-sites catch more energy. I guess it's like the efficiency of solar panels though. They've got a long way to go, though we were mislead to believe they were about at their maximum possible efficiency years ago.

I never saw any such claim about solar panels, and I have been reading about them in IEEE publications for years.

Well, since I don't read IEEE publications, maybe that's why I saw stuff that was inaccurate or just lies. It could be that I read something written by an anti-solar-energy Big Oil shill. It's possible, right?

Sure, but you need to consider the source.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D5 Sony a9 Sony a7 III Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow