Landscape focussing technique; focus on infinity

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Landscrape Forum Member • Posts: 95
Landscape focussing technique; focus on infinity

Hi everybody,

Recently I have been collecting focussing techniques for landscape photography. I have many techniques in my arsenal now ;). I am still figuring out which one to use when and which ones work best for me. And I am having fun experimenting with it

In landscape photography it's often the case that sharpness is desired from front to back. One technique to achieve this involves focussing on the distant background (infinity). You can make test shots with each lens and determen how close to the lens things are still sharp (when you focussed on infinity). So basically all you have to do is make test shot's with your lenses at different apertures (and focal length's) and by doing that you will know exactly when you will have to resort to techniques like the hyperfocal distance to get close objects appear sharp... So basically, if you know your lenses, you are less likely to even need the use of the hyperfocal distance method (that often).

My question is if there is any difference in sharpness (especially of the foreground object) between photo's made with this infinity focussing technique (if you would like to call it a technique btw) and photo's made with the hyperfocal distance method to make the foreground appear sharp? Is one or the other better? I reckon not, but just checking...

Another question I have is about using DOUBLE the hyperfocal distance. What do you guy's think about that? I found out about this method after watching this video of Nigel Danson. I am actually not doubting his methods because Nigel obviously knows very well what he is doing and is clearly not the kind of guy that likes to shout things out loud. But still I am interested in finding out what you guy's think of using the double the hyperfocal distance (which is different than using the "double the distance" method, I guess?)

Things are finally falling into place a little bit. Which is very good because in a few month's I will go on a photo trip. And I am dying to  get some spectacular shot's. Sorry for the long post btw

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow