Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
jcm56 Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

I have both, just bought the Tamron recently, so tested them against each other. I dont have the files any more, but I wrote down that the FE85mm was clearly sharper than the Tamron at 75mm. Also less distortion. Its particularly clear at the edges and the corners. But I shoot landscape, so it might be a bit different, as I'm always shooting at more or less infinity.

A lot of people will tell you that the Samyang 24mm is very poor, especially, I suspect, people who have never used one. I have a good copy of it, and at 24MP especially its really not bad at all, at least for landscape, at f8-11. If I'm careful how I use it, I can get images which are very similar to the Batis 25mm, except for a little bit of smear in the extreme corners, and less contrast, which I make up for by increasing the contrast and clarity a touch in ACR. Its the fact that it weighs just 95g that makes me keep it for hiking. You could have a Samyang 24mm, a Samyang 35mm (even better than the 24mm) and an FE 85mm and it would weigh exactly what the Tamron does!

jcm56's gear list:jcm56's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6000 Sony a7R II Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow