Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,551
Re: Aesthetic reasons

hjs_koeln wrote:

Not sure how others feel about it, but to me it´s not only more resolution, from a certain increase on it´s "more resolution plus X". Going from full HD in video to 4k introduces another quality alltogether, and in still photography it is similar.

There´s something fascinating about a tool which allows to exceed the capabilities of the human eye, and resolution is an area where this has become possible (bearing in mind of course that visual physiology is a totally different process than photography).

Digital imagery is immaterial, intangible and therefore elusive, which is kind of a mental stumbling block. There is no original, no ultimate source, b/c copy = original. This sense of digital images being unreal can be compensated by introducing qualities into the digital medium which would not be available otherwise. Again, resolution is one such way, and through it digital photography becomes a tool to reach or create this quality of reality, unobtainable otherwise.

If the immateriality of an image is the price I have to pay to reach this "other" dimension of reality, and if a particular camera is the suitable tool to take me there, I´m willing to go that way.

In this sense, for my taste anyways it can never be enough. A 100mp A7r V, and a 150mp A7r VI? Yes, please!

150 MP files would only be a bit more than twice the size of the monster files from the 60 MP camera, and they would still be far less than 1 GB in size. We can buy 512 GB SD cards today, which means we could shoot more than 500 photos on a single card. The computers today come with 16 GB of RAM, which is more than 16 times as much as a single image from a 150 MP camera. For people to think 60 MP is an unreasonabe size is silly, and in the near future I think even a 150 MP photo will not be unreasonable. We'll soon be at the point where computers come with 32 GB of RAM. In fact, I think the MacBook Pro already comes with that much. Add to that the fact that a 4 TB hard drive, which can hold many thousands of huge raw image files is available for just $100 today, and I don't think even the largest photo files today are too big or "unreasonable" in size. The future is today, and camera companies should offer more high resolution sensors, like Sony is now about to start doing. Computer processing has progressed pretty dramatically in recent years, with notebook computer processors stepping up from dual-core to six cores. Before long we might see processors in notebook computers and even tablets that have 12 cores. I think it's time we see some 100 MP sensors.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow