Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 13,630
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

pollup wrote:

To me, 24mp is enough in my images and my computer is too slow to handle 61mp. However I'd like to have a 80+mp camera, why? Because this system will save me size, weight and money, as I'll be able to turn that high res camera with a prime lens into a 24mp camera multi prime system. So instead of carrying 3 primes, I carry only one, that's more convenient and cheaper. All we need is the ability for the camera to save small/medium raws, and not only full res raw. Ideally we should be able to specify a resolution, like 24mp, and then the camera will automatically select small/medium/full depending on the crop factor. (I mean, if I'm in crop mode, then maybe I don't want to make the raw even smaller).

Interesting point. Maybe this is why Sony mentioned the 26 MP crop mode. They may be expecting people to carry the 60 MP camera with a 24mm or 35mm lens, and use the crop mode to shoot "normal" focal length photos, so they don't have to use a heavy zoom and can still just carry the camera with one lens most of the time, when they're not doing long telephoto stuff, shooting high-def portraits, or shooting macro stuff. The high resolution sensor does indeed make it a bit more practical to carry a prime as an all-around lens.

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Sigma SD1 Merrill Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +20 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow