Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
PhotoW Junior Member • Posts: 49
Re: Tamron 28-75 2.8 or Sony 85mm 1.8

I own both, and they're both phenomenal. If you could pick up both, they're both definitely worth it. Otherwise, it really depends on what you want to shoot more often. I shoot events and portraits, so I need both, but, if the 35 is your portrait lens, you might not need the 85 unless you needed the reach for something else.

You can still get decent portrait results with the Tamron at 75mm, but there isn't that much of a difference to me between 28 and 35, just a few steps back if you can afford it (which I usually can).

You could also try the 28 f/2 with the 85 if you don't actually need a zoom. You can even go wider with the 20/21mm or 16 mm add-ons. I don't have any experience with it, but I've heard it's pretty good at 28, don't know about the extensions.

You also need to think about the shooting experience. I generally enjoy shooting with the 85 far more than with the Tamron, but I use the Tamron for 95% of my work. Try both if you can and see which one you like more, they're both plenty sharp.

PhotoW's gear list:PhotoW's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow