White background trouble?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: White background trouble?

Currantos wrote:

Thank you, great information.

We are NOT going for the high key look at all, the opposite, we are going for a strongly shadowed/dramatic look with modeling of face/body. One side light, one side dark. Like the famous Steve Jobs portrait by Albert Watson.

I don't know about unity/disunity, that's hard to judge sometimes and is probably subjective? Would love to see examples of either/both.

Seems some photoshopping in post is unavoidable especially in small spaces. We have tons of "unseen light", actually, it's obviously seen to us as it bounces off the ceiling, walls and floor. We took pictures of all of them with objects and you can clearly see the white wall, the object and the shadow where the light is coming from which is the background. We were 'light sleuthing' by following the shadows back.

Seems to shoot on white background an all black studio is ideal to eat away the light.

Future assignments will be shooting on black, I can only imagine the disasters that await us. Crazy fun.

-- hide signature --

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

If you want a low key subject and lighting key subject on a high key background, you can still accomplish this withthe system I have outlined. You can still light the background independently and make sure that the the background is no over lighted to the extent that it creates about bounce illumination to stril the enges of the subject. Also see that the raw light from the background light does not spill on the subject. I do that all the time on theatrical shots were a white background is requested and on product shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow