Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Cudacke Dees Regular Member • Posts: 192
Re: Reasons for wanting higher mega pixel count

Jacques Cornell wrote:

Cudacke Dees wrote:

10 years ago people say 12MP is enough.
12MP which is 4272 x 2848 on Sony camera.

It is only slightly larger than my 8MP 4K resolution 15 inch HP spectre x360 laptop screen which I look at every day no farther than 2 foot.
I won't even be able to APS-C crop it and still get a full screen image.

with 24MP a APS-C crop barely larger.

so yea unless you are planning to die in 10 years.....

What's your point? Ten years later, a 12MP file is still sufficient to display full-screen without upscaling on a 4K display of any size or to make a print at least 12"x18". If your laptop 10 years from now has an 8K display, your eyes won't be able to discern the difference.

what do you mean?

I am already seeing the difference on my 15 inch 4K screen every day.

Do you have an 8K display and 61MP camera to see the difference from 4K can not be seen?

Do you?

that is my point.

so yea unless you are planning to die in 10 years.....

The technology is improving.
What people say enough 10 years ago already reaches it limits.

If you want to print bigger than this or view on a 5K or higher-rez display and view at abnormally close distances, then yes, it helps to have more than 12MP.

12 MP only barely bigger than my 15 inch 4K display with an APS-c crop it is smaller than my screen.  I can see the difference every day by just using it normally.
you don't need to make big prints... you just need a new computer too see it. or maybe a good eye doctor would help in your case if you really cannot tell.

But, now we're talking about exceeding 42MP, which is a very much higher threshold and one that 99% of photographers will never surpass.

oh well I am not 99% then (where is this # coming from???)

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
CE3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow