Are we losing something in photography?

Started Jul 24, 2019 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
The Ambassador Junior Member • Posts: 37
Are we losing something in photography?

Quite often I read in the forums questions like "What kind of settings did you use for this shot?". Or people complaining about how the camera's autofocus failed to perfectly track an eye or recognize a face. What I wonder is if we are not losing sight of the basics of photography.
Light, for example. I often see photos "straight out of the camera" really underexposed or overexposed and then completely "saved" in post production thanks to very high dynamic range.
I've seen videos where people totally shoot randomly, without looking in the viewfinder, because the machine "focuses" on the face automatically with 8921481 focus points.

I love technology and I use it (I've never shot film for example) but I think we are changing (for the worse) our way of approaching photography. And we are forgetting the basics.

Probably the same thing happened when we switches from analog to digital? My questions are serious, it is not a provocation.

Just to be clear I'm not saying I don't do post production or to be against certain techniques.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
T3
jnd
1cb
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow