Advice needed for a compact camera

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Ghost1999 Forum Member • Posts: 93
Re: Advice needed for a compact camera

R00kiePh0t0 wrote:

Dear photographers,

I am in the market for a compact camera. After some hefty research I narrowed it down that I want a compact (pocket) camera with interchangable lenses and a viewfinder. I am going on travels soon (F1 in Hungary and Asia general and Bali/Lombok later in the year) and I just want a small camera that I can grow into.

In my search I always kept hearing about GM1 and GM5. I love the design and the size of it. However, it seems it is not made anymore and finding it is near impossible. A funny side note is that anyone that has one or wants one sounds like a cultist chanting GM1 and GM5 over and over.

My question to you and if you are willing, would anyone be able to advise me which camera even comes close to what I want. There are so many camera's in 2019 that I cannot see the forest beyond the trees.

Many thanks for however wishes to extend his/her knowledge.

Hey Rook,

The two obvious choices currently available in the Panasonic system are the GX85 and the GX9. You can compare them in detail using the side by side camera comparison tool on this site.

When comparing, think about these issues:

• How are you going to view your photos?
    • If you are primarily posting online, or making small to medium prints (up to 16 by 20 inches), with litte to no cropping, 16mp should be fine. 20mp will allow you more cropping before the image degrades significantly.
  • What kit lens works best for you? The 12-32 is a great little lens, but the 12-60 has a lot more reach at the long end. If you get the 12-32, you will likely want something like the little 35-100 as well.
  • Don't worry too much about the comments about suitability for sports photography. You will not be doing serious "cars on track" photgraphy from the stands. You can happily do public access pit area and crowd shots with either the GX9 or the GX85.

Have fun!

Ghost

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow